About Steve Santer
I’m an Australian living in Malaysia, just across the causeway from Singapore, and experiencing the rich, vibrant textures of life in South East Asia. With more than 15 years of Art Direction and Visual / Interaction Design roles in Sydney, Australia, I have grown my knowledge through a Masters of Design Futures degree with RMIT University, Melbourne. I’m excited and passionate about the use of Design, Philosophy, and Futures approaches to explore the chaotic, the invisible, and the complex problems that surround us.
Areas of interest and research include:
• philosophies of design and technology
• object-oriented and speculative realist philosophies
• design across cultures
• speculative, adversarial and critical design
• philosophy in creative practice
Prior to my current career vector, for more than 15 years I was a roll-up-the-sleeves, hands-on Art Director and Design Director; managing teams and projects from concept to completion. Historically my remit has been to design to strategies, and driving projects through to a successful outcome regardless of the chosen platform delivery. In a nutshell, I am a senior level, hands-on, creative designer with expertise across; Art Direction, UX and UI Design, Illustration, 3D & Motion Design.
I have worked on a number of award winning projects for both online and mobile apps: WilderQuest iPad app winner of 11 AIMIAs, Trocoxil iPad app Bronze Clio, Streets Paddle Pop (online) AIMIA Finalist, just to name a few.
As a creative specialist in the digital industry, I work proficiently across several design disciplines including; User Experience (UX Design) and User Interface (UI Design) for mobile apps, games and online products, as well as 3D animation and motion design. I also enjoy exploring creative programming through Processing.
Design and art direction experience
My design and art direction experience covers a cross-section of industries. Below, while not an exhaustive list, it summarises the last 15 years across different agencies and through my own studio:
- Children’s games and education apps (National Parks and Wildlife Service NSW)
- Online and mobile B2B (Leap Legal software, ING Investor, Electrolux)
- FMCG and Consumer discretionary brands (Cup-a-soup, Paddle Pop, GWF, Ribena, OMO, Maccona Coffee, John West, AmbiPur, Ikea)
- Electronics (Sunbeam, Breville, Electrolux, Nintendo Australia, Pioneer, Fender Australia)
- Automotive (Subaru)
- Pharmaceuticals (GSK, Pfizer, Zoetis, Bayer)
- Mining and infrastructure (Ausenco)
- Entertainment (Hoyts Entertainment, Dendy Cinemas, Fox 8)
- Government (TAC Victoria, NSW Heritage Council)
Design skill set overview
- Manage design teams
- Manage multiple projects
- Lead creative / design director / art director
- Hands on designer with expert skills in Adobe Creative Suite products
- UX Design (User Experience) skills including research, user journeys and wireframing
- Excellent comprehension of branding and brand management
- High level of research and communication skills
- Experienced at mentoring junior members of creative teams
- Experienced art directing photo shoots
- Passion for writing